The Church of St. Peter, the Apostle was built by the Jesuits in 1734 when the small stone church built sometime in 1632 was damaged by fire. During the early 17th century, the church was a well-known pilgrimage site.
When the Recollects succeeded the Jesuits in their ministry in Loboc in 1768, different aspects were added to the church structure; the hexagonal bell tower, a neo-classical portico that covered the Baroque facade, a three-story convent, and many embellishments and decorations of cherubs, Papal Tiara and medallions depicting saints carved on the stone walls.
The 7.2 magnitude earthquake on October 15, 2013 damaged the church into three sections, rendering it unusable. As seen in the photos taken earlier this month (May 2015), it is still under construction.